Thursday, May 21, 2015

Day 12

Day 12:  Salina, KS to The Woodlands, TX - 812.7 Miles

Well its official, we are ready to be home.   Approximately 650 miles to Mom and Dads in Woden, easily doable.  We keep hearing on the radio and reading in the news papers of all the tornados and heavy rains in front of us.   We have been very fortunate so far to have only had to drive in rain for maybe 4 or 5 hours total of our entire trip.

None of us are on roads we have not driven before, and the real mission is to get out of OK and into east Texas before the afternoon thunderstorms pop up.

One of my biggest annoyances on this trip is Toll Booths.   We would be on an interstate making good time and then with no exits or alternate routes that were obvious you find yourself at a toll booth.  I-35 in Kansas is a perfect example of this.   Just south of Wichita, still traveling on I35 we must stop and pay our tax.


But will all things considered the toll booths were our most excitement of the day.    Rudy had made this drive he guesses 40+ times.

But we are making progress, I just about missed the sign and the picture is terrible, but if you look closely enough to the right just above the corner of the GPS you will see the Oklahoma sign the we needed for Flat Stanley.  (ok yes, it really is a bad pic)


It is along this stretch that the car becomes really quiet....  my co-pilots have left me.



But they perk up (and me too) when we see this sign...


Now its just a matter of time, as the miles count down to ZERO on the miles to go display on the GPS.   Surprisingly I didn't take anymore pictures than I did on this last day of travel.   We talked a lot about the towns we were driving through and were wide eyed at all the creeks and rivers out of their banks.  But we didn't tank any more pictures.

Well I took this one just south of Paris, TX and sent it to my Sister and Niece to give them our ETA of arriving Woden.


No we were not getting excited about getting home at all.   In fact at one point I was doing the math on the possibility of me just dropping my co-pilots off and continuing on to my house 150 miles further down the road.   Hmmm... If we get to moms before 7pm I am going to get my truck and keep on going.  That was the deal I made with myself.   Sure enough with 1 last gas stop 20 miles from Mom's (I sooooo could have made it), we arrive Granna & PawPaws at 6:52pm on the 18th of May.   

I had picked them up 8am on May 6th, 12.5 days on the road for Mom & Dad and I was a blast, but I am going to keep on moving.  I hug them both, tell them I love them and move my things from her car to my truck.

The drive to The Woodlands was uneventful, and I arrive home around 9:30 pm, having myself left at 5am on the 6th.  Dianne was actually happy to see me, and it feels good to finally be out of the car/truck! 




No comments:

Post a Comment