Friday, May 8, 2015

Day 1

Day 1:  The Woodlands, TX - Chattanooga, TN - 876.5 Miles

And so it begins, I leave my house right around 5am or so and start to make my way to Mom & Dad's.   First error of the day went with my choice of taking Highway 105 (I never take 105) right around 7 miles from Hwy 59 I am parked in the east bound lanes with traffic at a standstill with no where to go for 45 min or so.

I get to Woden about 7:45 and find Mom & Rudy pretty much ready to go and as we finish loading up the car my sister Candace pulls in to make sure we are still really going through with this and wishes us safe travels.

While we are driving Mom tells me about my nephews "Flat Stanley" project so our mission is to get a picture of him at each state crossing.

First Border was Lousiana,



We  have been to many times over the years, but when we get to Monroe, we all felt like we were in new territory, so we get off the freeway and play sightseeing tourist a little bit driving down town looking at the large buildings.

Second Border was Mississippi, we didn't see a sign but we pulled off at the state line welcome center which overlooked the mighty Mississippi river.





We also did some sightseeing in Vicksburg along the river front, downtown and around the old battle fields.   The town has done a real good job preserving its past.

Third border was Alabama where we also stopped and checked a small football stadium.




Forth border was Georgia, didn't see much of Georgia but it counts as a border crossing.



Fifth border was Tennessee where we drove to the north east side of Chattanooga to our hotel, but we were not able to pull off where the state sign was located.

All in all a nice albeit a long day of travel.


1 comment: